Friday, May 14, 2010

Men With Issues

Today was thread was a definite theme: men with father issues. I saw five movies today; up at 9am (although I meant to be up at 8am, damn the alarm!) and home by 10pm. It was movie stacked upon movie stacked upon wrong movie theater/being lost stacked upon movie. And in every movie, all the men had issues with their fathers. Which, having slightly study feminist media in may scholarly days, is a def. switch form the women with mother issues. I'm not sure if this is refreshing or disturbing, or both...

But. I saw "The Perfect Age of Rock & Roll" this morning. It was basically the poor man's version of "Almost Famous." 'Nough said. Expect let me add, the two supporting band mates characters with no real dialogue were great-- some one give these guys real lines.

I then made my way over to "Tuesday, After Christmas." During which I suported my long-held theory that I don't like movies with 'Christmas' in the title, and I really don't like Romanian films, as you may have noted from my previous posting about "Poilce, Adjective." Romanian films seem to be so slow, so long and just boring. No point. Just a film for the sake of making a film. Like, trying to be artsy, but ending up just being boring. No thanks. You're all so pale. Paler than me. I'll pass from now on.

Movie three was something I don't remember, so it couldn't have been very good. I then got lost trying to find this 60 degree theater for the showing of "On Tour." Obviously, I checked the map, picked out the wrong theater, got about 2 miles off course, and got lost in the sea of movie goers. I missed the screening, but am hoping to get to it at some point.

The next stop was for the Chinese film "Chongquin Blues." The spelling could be wrong, but it's close. I had heard it was depressing but awesome, and so I checked it out. Indeed, depressing, and very good. Also an official selection, meaning it's up for judging and likely coming to the US at some point, at least to indie theaters. It's the story of a father, who has been absent from his son's life for 15 years, and come home when the kid is killed by the cops for holding a woman hostage at the mall. He investigates, well, questions folks about what happens, to get a better understanding of who his kid was. The bottom line: be nice to your kids and try not to screw them up. Or else.

Following that, I hoped over to the great great great film, "Howl," which depicts the works of poet Allen Ginsberg and his effect on censorship (and American views on homosexuality). It was beyond words great. I was moved to tears by this film. Mixing three film genre- black/white, color and animation- this film literally and figuratively puts poetry in motion. Google it. Now.

I then saw the Canadian comedy/crime flick, "Fathers and Guns." It's apparently the highest grossing Canadian comedy of all time. I don't know how many comedy's Canada has actually produced, but I'm guessing enough to make this an achievement. Think "Super Troopers," but with a murder bike gang twist.

And for celeb reports: A group of folks just busted in saying they just say the crew from "Whale Wars," which means little to me. But I did see Emily Blunt eating lunch (love her- simply beautiful!) and Mary J. Blige (I think is how you spell it) walking down the pier. So, there's that.

I also figured out the best way to approach eating while in Cannes. Before hitting up the train, I stopped at the corner bakery for a big roll (like, really big) that lasted all day. Then come home and use my groceries for making dinner. The roll was like 80 euro, so cheap cheap.

And beware of (yes, French ATMs) and French wine sellers. (Sellers, not cellars, as far as I know.) I went to buy a bottle from the local wine shop, and he short changed me buy 10 Euro (I assume b/c he figured I was s stupid American; which I am, but I am also a complaining American, so there you go). I realized after I left the shop, and went back in, hand motioned that I knew he had short changed me, and demanded he give me the rest of my money. Looking downing shame, he walked to the cash pile and gave me my money, then muttered 'sorry' in English. Ha. Poo poo, French wine man.

Ok-- off to plan my big day for tomorrow! I promise-- pictures are forthcoming. I just have to find my camera chord!

No comments:

Post a Comment